Thursday, December 15, 2011

Homemade Marshmallows & Teacher Gifts



OK, so it's probably a bit too late for anyone to round up all the stuff to do this project, but maybe if you have a few extra minutes during holiday baking, I HIGHLY suggest making home made marshmallows. 


Our teacher gifts were pretty simple. Some pretty purchased mugs, ribbon, candy canes, coco packets, and these long thin bags I found in the cake section at our local store made by Wilton. They are supposed to be for candy pretzels, but made nice baggies to put our marshmallows in. We also tucked in a few Christmas napkins. I used shrink wrap to keep it all together. The kids had a BLAST with the hair dryer making it shrink. They weren't around for the marshmallow making. They could have helped, but it is EXTREMELY hot liquid poured over gelatin using a blender, so the helping part is better at the end. The eating them part. 

Let me discuss the marshmallows. 

They are AMAZING. 

No seriously. 


Like nothing else. Like eating vanilla air. OH MY. 

I was accused of being an over achiever by my friend Lisa. BUT, several cups of hot coco later, I believe she has taken that back since she has been very nice to me lately. Could it be she would like more? 

I made a recipe I found on The Joy of Baking website. The basic ingredients are below if you are curious. 

Homemade Marshmallows:
1 cup (240 ml) cold water, divided
3 - 1/4 ounce envelopes (21 grams) unflavored gelatin
2 cups (400 grams) granulated white sugar
1 cup (240 ml) light corn (or golden) syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

And to quote my sister in law, what would happen if I added my own marshmallows to Rice Crispy Treats or used Sugar Free Cherry jello and dipped the marshmallows in chocolate? YES, the possibilities are endless. YUM.




6 comments:

  1. Ok will have to try this....I have been afraid to try it thinking it was really difficult!!
    Or maybe it is...hahhahaha
    one thing though I applaud your creativity and stamina!!
    hugz
    irini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhh I think I need to try these too!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me,THESE marshmallows are delish!!!! Great idea for teacher gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful!!!!!!
    I'll be making cake balls tonight and hopefully some will make it to the party. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delish! I cook, but baking isn't my thing. Maybe this'll be kind of in the middle? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I'd like to say that I am ALWAYS nice to you-well as nice as I get! Second, they were FABULOUS! Third, you are an over-achiever and I want to be you when I grow up! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!