Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Terrarium for Christmas

My parents are Master Gardeners, so no surprise when Luke expressed interest in making a terrarium that he got supplies to make one at Christmas. In fact, we got enough stuff to make three!

I'm linking up with a website I found for the instructions. There are a lot of various websites that describe how to build one of these quite easily.

I have had a terrarium since last year and enjoyed mine the most through the winter months. When it's white outside, it's nice to look down into a small perfect world that is green!

These are self-sustaining if you get one with a lid since the moisture will build up on the top and drop down like rain. My main maintenance was to occasionally trim some plants back and wipe down the insides.

Probably the most difficult part of a terrarium is finding all the materials, specifically small plants that stay small. Finding the small little items to go inside to decorate is a lot of fun! And, then there is finding moss naturally growing in the woods. You won't need a lot and the moss for these was harvested before snow fell on my parents farm.



Here is a top view photo of Luke's. He has a little guy fishing in a small little clay pool with a frog. I think he and his Grandma did a great job.

Now, I just have to put a few Christmas decorations away so I can arrange the terrariums out where they can get the best light!

5 comments:

  1. What a great gift idea!! I loveeeeeeee it! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous gift idea, I love it so clever.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable, and they look like so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome! I love the idea of having a bit of green during the winter months. Very cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them, that is such a great idea and no weeding.......

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!