Sunday, July 7, 2013

United We Stand

photo taken at the top of Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid NY


Do you work to live or live to work?

I remember having that discussion with myself five or six years ago and decided I wanted to do the first and for sure not the second.

That being said though, we are up here nearly in Canada several hours away from family for a job and STATES away from my Sistah-in-Law and her clan who also moved for a job.

That is, however, kinda the world we're living in these days, at least here in the US of A.

Families are scattered and we have to rely on the phone, e-mail, texting, and skype to keep in touch. And not to forget blogging!

Or if you are like us, we WISH we kept in touch better with everyone, but there is that silly thing called life that sometimes makes it harder!

We just spent a couple of rainy days camping with the Sistah-in-Law and Dad Pratt in Lake Placid, NY (home of the 1932 and 1980 Olympic Games if the name sounds familiar).

Five kids, two dogs, One Grandpa & One Granny, and lots and lots of sugar. Not to mention eating constantly too!

It's all good though. How else would I hear their southern accents and cry a little inside at the fact the oldest is bigger than me.

Kudos to THE MAN for organizing it all and hauling us two hours away with our gear & house on our back, grilling in the rain, and sweeping up the sand at night after small peeps went to bed.

Great job Sistah-in-Law for hauling small peeps 12 hours North for a taste of home.

And Granny and Dad Pratt? Thanks for all the mixed drinks & maple walnut fudge. You rock! ;-)

Linking up with Sian over at Story Telling Sunday who I am pretty sure might also like fudge. 

12 comments:

  1. I think my hubby works to live, you just gota have the money for the bills that you get just from livin!! I think we all get busy but I find I keep in contact with my busy kids via text messages. It sounds like you have had a lovely time camping with your family.. family is everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! Oh, yes! I'm a big fan of fudge. Heck, I'm a huge fan of fudge. And mixed drinks are pretty fine too :) Your trip sounds perfect..I understand your feelings about family too. My Mum is 70 miles away, my sister 60 in another direction and my brother across the ocean and although we try hard to keep in touch, every day that we can't drop in on each other can feel like a wasted day sometimes.

    Thanks Mitra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling as most of my family lives in California and I'm in Arizona. It sounds like you had a fantastic visit though - truly something to treasure as precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I so share your feling - my mum & dad and one of my daughters are across the sea from me - and keeping in touch become so important when any distance is involved, even though it is ny phone, txt, email and skype - and so often life gets so busy. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip though. J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wookie and co went to a birthday do today - lots of people traveling lots of miles to be together is always a blessing. Glad you all got to get together :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to be able to reconnect sometimes! Thanks for sharing this precious reunion. xoxo France

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you had such a grand trip and I totally agree with you on the Work to Live ethos. It's great that you met up with them all in the same place, bet your Dad is breathing a huge sigh of exhaustion now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Family should come first. Bet it was a lovely reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want fudge right now!! Oh man that sounds good right now....
    Hiiiiiiii Mitra!!! I'm on vacation again and reading your blog via phone sucks. It's cool, but not the same at all. Had time to pry open the laptop and run over here. I know I've missed a ton, but I'll be back soon and then I'll comment like crazy. I can't wait. Vacations are only for men and children. I haven't done anything yet that I can't do at home!!!
    Hugs, miss you....see your blog soon!!!
    L x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maple walnut fudge sounds YUM! It seems to be the way it is now, families spread around the globe. Although mine have been that way for generations now and it is difficult to keep the ties. I am glad that you had a chance to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great story, it sounds like you had a fun trip x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our family gatherings are rare, but usually full of laughter. Glad you had the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!