Wednesday, March 12, 2014

How Alarming: Embroidery Hoop Altered Art

On Sunday, I was hanging out in my craft room thinking hard.

I was thinking about making the most out life which led me to download a printable from Graphique on Etsy to use on this piece. Life is way too short to be stuck & miserable.

I am sure you have heard the poem To the Virgins, to make much of Time by Robert Herrick at some point or other. It's slightly annoying, but placed over roses and leaving out the title, it's better. ;-)

GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,
  Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day
  To-morrow will be dying.
The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
  The higher he 's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
  And nearer he 's to setting.
That age is best which is the first,
  When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent, the worse, and worst
  Times still succeed the former.
Then be not coy, but use your time,
  And while ye may, go marry:
For having lost but once your prime,
  You may for ever tarry.

I really have no concept of what it might be like to not be enjoying life. (and on a side note, I don't intend to lose my prime just get better and better thank you very much Mr. Herrick)

Things are pretty easy for me. My first world problems this week include forgetting to buy butter and running out of dog food.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to live with THE MAN and not actually LIKE him. It seems kinda important, like having peanut butter to go with your jelly. Or chocolate to go with your peanut butter.

But, like I said, I do not know what it's like.


































I used some items on this hoop to illustrate the poem a bit. One is a vintage bingo card from my friend over at You Made Me Ink who also hooked me up with these super amazing blooms. Bingo for how things sometimes are unexpected in life!

The second is the gold outline of an alarm clock and third being a bike. I wanted an image for time and also an one that involved moving away from a situation.


Since I really layered up the hoop, I wanted it to be free standing for display. So I hot glued it onto a piece of very heavy cardboard. The thick line of hot glue got glittered and it's prettier in real life!


































And here it is hanging out on my table where I can enjoy it for a couple of days. I'm sending off to a friend just as soon as I find a box that will work. (excuses excuses)

HHAPPPPPPPY HUMP DAY!

and a little video from Dead Poets!


food for worms, lads!

7 comments:

  1. That movie is one of my all-time faves...& believe me, AGE DOES WEARY them...eventually. Even Tom is slowing down.....which I must say, I'm enjoying...& this is a timely reminder & my DH picked up a little something off the road that reminded me of you.....but I'm keeping Mum about that for the time being AND would you believe, my fave bit is that little acetate {???} heart!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another amazing and creative piece from you.. love it, though the poem is a tad depressing.. I think ignorance is bliss about getting old.. !! just enjoy today.. and that is a good movie.. Hope your day is going really well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ! What a lovely project,wonderful layers ,vintage touch qnd pretty blooms !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loveeeeeee this! WOW!! LOVING all those flowers and the clock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a charming piece of art! Amazing details and colours. Yum!

    P/s: It's always good to know what makes you happy. Just live each day to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang girl...you piled it all together beautifully! I love the alarm clock size...AWESOME and the way you supported the poem with the BINGO card. Your art interpretations on life are always so much fun to take in! Your friend (smiles) will really enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWE.......with a HUGE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this baby is in my craft room right now....HOW LUCKY I AM THE ONE WHO RECEIVED IT....thank you again girlie.....hugs

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!