Sunday, June 28, 2020

Sparkly Bits and Die-cut Planes




It was only natural I'd spot the fluttering banner that said thrift store. I crossed paths with the banner on the way to the park where all the food trucks were. I made a promise with that banner that I'd check out the store on the way back. I was there to hand out flyers for a park that I'm involved with. 

A short while later, I passed out all my flyers. Conversation was limited due to mask wearing and most of the people were happily eating their lunches. I had mistakenly packed and subsequently eaten my lunch prior so I had to skip trying Global Taco or the one called Over the Moon Grilled Cheeserie. I consoled myself with a whoopie pie and headed back the way I came with a promise that next Thursday I'd be back! 

At first glance, the church basement thrift store was exactly that. I had spotted a cool vintage butterfly pin full of sparkly bits right off, but I was pretty sure my sale would be pretty small. Despite the warning that all was half off, I was less than impressed with the first two rooms. Then I came across a small collection of painted plates. Embossed gold with roses, Mine Mine Mine! Inner crow screamed with glee!


A second plate had lovely free form roses with handed painted little pretty flowers at the top. It was also had a $3 sticker on it. Never seen anything like it. It almost looks like the artist was playing with a few styles of decoration. Very entertaining. In all, my little painted plates totally made up for skipping a delicious super cheesy grilled cheese sammy. It was a nice way to slide into the weekend. 


Saturday evening I had a little bit of time while waiting for fried pickles to arrive. The rest of dinner too, but specifically the fried pickles. My earlier disappointment in not having a grilled cheese off the food truck manifested itself in mac and cheese from a local place for dinner. Anyhow, while waiting, I dug out some new stamps I got that came with the ability to die cut out the pieces. I bought them after I had an on-line scrapbooking party. 

Did I tell you about that? A bunch of us got on-line in the midst of the virus and scrapped via web ex. I wouldn't have known how to set up a web-ex except I was taking some on-line classes for something else and happened to have an account. So, we got to all hang out and work together. I made a sh*t-ton of background pages, which I'm likely to do when I don't have 100% concentration and just want to do something mindless. Since evidently there is a little bit of camping this summer, they will come in handy for layouts. 


I made six of these cards. I only needed two, because kids are still graduating and other peeps are still retiring. Despite the bug, life events march on even it's a socially distanced graduation wearing masks and a last day of work after spending your whole life at it but skipping the get together because let's face it most peeps are still working off their kitchen table. 

I am thankful that we will have a little of this and a little of that to look forward to this summer. They say it's the mask wearing which we all have gotten mostly used to, I guess which is why the numbers in my state are down. With the threat of bad things happening, I'm noticing that the majority of peeps are wearing theirs. We've had our big box home improvement store shut down twice for lack of mask wearing and one of the local bars that operates in the sticks lost their liquor license as they kept serving.  I can say that perhaps some should consider running their masks through the laundry, but we've all got our personal preferences, right? 

And with that, I'm off. I have my own laundry to do and left over mac and cheese for lunch to devour! 













3 comments:

  1. This is great! Next time get the grilled cheese and tell Tobi the Shoemaker sent you. She’s a pre-K teacher at riverside, owner of Over the Moon Cheeserie, and an all around amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those plates are so pretty, no wonder they begged you to buy them!
    It is interesting to see how different countries have reacted to dealing with the same virus. Over here we were locked down longer but masks are only compulsory on public transport or inside medical establishments - at the moment. However, I have noticed that many people are wearing them inside supermarkets and when I go into town later on, I will be taking mine. Why would people not think to wash them?! They feel hot and damp on the inside when you have worn them for a while and surely there is the possibility of having all manner of germs on the outside so washing has got to be a good idea I would think!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!