Sunday, April 12, 2020

I Forgot I Had A Car





































So, the other day at lunch, we were talking about cars. I had forgotten I had one. Well, I mean I knew it was out in the driveway, but I haven't driven it since a Monday about three or is it four weeks back when I got the big pile of snow hurled at my windshield. I've walked past it a billion times because we've been working on our carport. (On a side note, a big plus of being home is eating lunch with your family instead of by yourself and with your phone at work. So, there is that...of course I also have to make that lunch...)

Anyhow, Luke and I were on our way back from Guthrie Hospital in Sayre because he needed to complete his FAA Physical for his private pilot shenanigans this summer. Despite what the weather app said about the weather of the day, was snowing heavily when we left. That would not have changed going out there as the application was time sensitive, so we had a lot of wet heavy slippery snow to deal with. I was driving like a snail because we passed cars off all over. As we headed under an underpass on the highway on the way back, whompppppP! A snowplow pushed this onto my windshield. As the snow fell from above, I thought oh, not again.



One of the places you don't want to go during a virus crisis is the hospital and the second thing you don't want to deal with is car crap. Lucky for me THE MAN has glass coverage on our vehicles as this is the SECOND TIME I've driven home with glass shards on my lap. The upside was that this time they were very minimal and not in my hair. On a side note, the windshield replacement was super easy and quick, with the exception they were not going to vacuum out your car due to the virus crap, which sounded like a decent policy to me.



Anyhow, taking about cars reminded me that I still needed to vacuum out my car after the incident. I was in luck as the snow from the previous day was all melted and it was actually kinda warm outside. THE MAN was wrapping up work on pulling the electric through conduit so we can get electric back into the carport so we hung out in the driveway together. It's only been say four years since we took out the lights & wiring but due to building the back wall, we were now able reinstall. The back wall was necessary so we could bring the wire up the back in conduit. 




So while he worked on that project, I merrily vacuumed and wiped down the interior of the car. It was a bit of a time capsule. There was the concrete dust I wiped out of the back from when I ran those bags of concrete up to the Knoll so this dude could wrap up working on a storm drain. A flattened penny from the penny press at Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, which immediately brought me back to the Christmas party...and then, there was the thing under the seat. It took me a minute to identify it as a tomato from this past summer.

See, I had this big idea to grow tomatoes and to donate the extra to the food bank. I'd bring big baskets full to Civil Air Patrol because one of the Senior Members there runs the food bank in the Heights. I imagine that the offending tomato rolled there after some cadet was "ordered" to run out and grab those tomatoes from Lt. Pratt's car and transfer them to the white Chevy truck. These kinds of things make Cadets nervous because it's sketch, or so my Cadet tells me. So anyhow, I am sure in the swoooooop of the transfer, a tomato was dislodged and then subsequently lived under the passenger side seat for six months. Back this summer, my commute to work was five minutes and we had some nice hot weather, so it pretty much baked into a golf ball sized dried tomato in no time so it was more of a nice memory that I hurled over the bank and laughed about.

THE MAN was not impressed, but generally speaking after this many years of marriage he just shakes his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!