Wednesday, March 30, 2016

UFO Wrapped Up: Leather Hankie Box Upcycled

























Usually at any given time I have a couple of UFOs hanging out in my studio with me. Unfinished objects who mock me from their dusty corners. Thankfully I am really good at tuning out their cries, because sometimes I just don't have a good idea on how to wrap something up.  As much as I wanted to finish this little leather box, I was having trouble with how to decorate it.






































This is what I started with. I was pretty sure that napkin that Yvonne Yam passed my way would look great with that wood piece that I have been hoarding. After trying a few things with the wood piece, it wasn't working so the box sat covered with gesso & the napkin for several months waiting for inspiration.


























Finally decided that I needed to decorate the sides with washi tape, glue on the feet, and see what it looked like at that point.






































I opted to use a little spray paint at that point to dull down the shiny tape and cover the inside. Worked a treat! Then I was able to wrap up the top with some roses that I upcycled from the Restore.


Here is a close up of the top. You can see some of the napkin peeking out from under the roses. I added that metal frame with the vintage image for a focal point.

Now it's done and no longer mocking me, it's quite a relief!

Happy Hump Day!

6 comments:

  1. So awesome! I have one of those napkins that came with my Lessology prize pack a few months ago.. gorgeous... great inspiration on how to use it... didn't really think of using it on something like that, but how fantastic that is.. I always think flat surfaces, but yeah... other bumpy objects like to look pretty too! This turned out so beautiful!! So glad you finished it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous transformation. The cluster is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow some things just just a little longer to complete!! This looks wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through that entire post I couldn't get the X Files theme song out of my head....
    Of course you realize without me even saying it, I am smiling because you mentioned ReStore again AND because you are the Queen of recycling and "feeting" objects!!
    On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best...I lurve it an 11!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!