Monday, March 7, 2016

When Life Gives You Lemons...make angels: Memorandum Monday




























I always thought that quote was a bit silly. Who doesn't like lemons?

Anyhow, my point being is that I have quite a bit of free time on my hands at the given moment. One can only job hunt so much. Last week I sourced a bunch of spindles, ironed & cut vintage hankies, and cut & glittered wings. Since I'm terrible at relaxing and being bored, I figured I'd work for myself a bit.

On Sunday, Luke and I stopped into a store on Market Street called The Source. The owner is awesomeness. I met her before when I needed a basket put together. Part coffee shop, part gift shop with arts & crafts from locals, it's a fun place to hang around. I had been toying with the idea of opening an etsy store but then thought maybe someone will take my stuff locally and save me the trouble. She said they had put a call out for new artists just last week on Facebook so she'd be happy to accept my angels. My son always starts twitching when I asked randomly odd questions to folks, but I have leaned in life if you don't ask, you can't possibly find out the answer!






































I'm planning on using spindles for some and perhaps have the angel hold something like a key or other vintage trinket. In this case I'm trying to portray "key to my heart" with what she's holding. In general, with the exception of the flowers, a large portion of each angel will be upcycled.


This one has a light bulb head. The light bulb was headed for the garbage can until I decided to paint it and mount it on a dowel. The nice part about these angels that each one is different so I don't get bored. ;-)

Waving a glittered wing over at Sian who is our official host for Memorandum Monday! Wish me luck!


13 comments:

  1. These are beautiful & I'm so glad you have already found a store to market them for you! I wish you every success!! I'm so sorry you lost your job. I had no idea. Let me know the deets. I am looking forward to getting to work here if someone will have me, otherwise I have a plan to start a cleaning and organising service here called *Mumsy* where Mumsy (aka me!) comes in & whips that home or office into shape!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh excellent outcome...and this might lead in more exciting directions...your area is good for this kind of sale. Just make sure you have a signed receipt and agreed upon evaluation from the owner. So happy for you and also the lucky folks buying your art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh excellent outcome...and this might lead in more exciting directions...your area is good for this kind of sale. Just make sure you have a signed receipt and agreed upon evaluation from the owner. So happy for you and also the lucky folks buying your art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. I'm excited to check these out in the shop. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I'm glad you said that because it took me years to work out what that quote actually meant. It always confused me. You are making excellent use of your time..how lovely!

    Have a good week ..may there be a job at the end of it (or soon, at the very least)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just incredible! What a lovely idea Mitra. I think it's wonderful that they are mostly upcycled too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LUCK! Blow Luke's 'twitching'....sooo with you. Gotta ask. You GOT! And to think, serendipity that you asked exactly when she was on the look out. Meant to be. I ADORE your angels. And I like that they will be practical as well. Perfect solution to you being time productive....glad winter is over so you can ENJOY being around the house and out in the garden, very soon:):) I can imagine you have Plans....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I like lemons, especially in lemon meringue pie.. And all the best with your new venture, I reckon your angels would make amazing gifts so I hope people buy them and enjoy them and help a local artist too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When i saw these on my dashboard ,I was like .. are those vintage hankies ? and jumped in to check :)I know I always say this but they are interesting ,as I never tried any thing with hardware I find it fascinating how you put things together :)How nice to showcase and sell your stuff locally .All the Best !

    P.S Can I request for a tutorial on these angels ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You ARE the Queen of Angels after all.. awesome! So glad you stopped... and asked! Oh the Places You Will Go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty.....love all the vintage linen, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love your angels as they seem to have a dreamy 'lightness' quality that not only makes appear to be hovering near by, but are spreading love as well- great quote!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!