Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Artist Model Garden Fairy: LESSology Challenge

































Found this little jointed wooden model in a store the other day on clearance. I had been wishing to create a little fairy for a very long time. I disliked the pretty new wood look though, so covered the entire thing with gesso and various sprays to grunge it up a bit!



Lucky for me, LESSology has a challenge up on their blog on working with material. I don't have a lot of actual fabric in my stash, but I do have some pretty doilies and handkerchiefs. Also found a doll at the second hand store (for a quarter!) who volunteered her dress. (Don't worry, the naked doll went over to the neighbor's house where Shirley will make her something summery to wear!)



Now, the real material that comes in large rolls at craft stores scares me. I think it's because the sewing machine and I have a bit of a love hate kind of thing going. So, I stuck with the no sew hot glue method.

I used alcohol inks to dye up the doily, handkerchief, and also doll dress.


































I also reused some of the ribbon roses that were on the original dress and the flower hat.


My favorite part are the chippy wings that I glimmered up with some Pearl-Ex.


Like most of my projects, I'm never sure if I'm really done. I now think she needs hair although perhaps not a face. What do you think?

Oh! And the little pitcher in my photo? I found that at the second hand store. Says it's from Australia. ;-) 

LOVE IT!


Happy Tuesday! 


12 comments:

  1. Well, I never...from Aussie, eh?!! How weird!!! LOVE your colours here...very hippy chicky...glad the other doll got clothes, though.....& me, I think she needs big black eyes & no hair...but hey! Who am I to say.....I think that may turn her into a grunge fairy????!!!!! Eeek...there's a reason I didn't have girls, obviously!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwwwwwwww! this is just awesome!! WOW WOW WOW!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think hair might take away from her groovy flower hat and as for a face, the wood grain gives her face enough character, but that's just my two cents. I think she's perfect just the way you've created her. Adding that doily is amazing. She's fit for a ball! But the wings, man o' man...now that's AWESOME!!! Think if she was carrying a little bag with a tooth on it, that would be fun or a little seed bag for a garden fairy, or a butterfly sitting on her hand that is changing colors would make her the fairy that colors butterflies...LOL. The possibilities are endless. Love what you've created here Mitra!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love her. If you think she needs hair, I know where the original hair is, you could get back. She is awesome, and I love Lisa's idea with a butterfly sitting on her hand. Of course, I'm a sucker for butterflies. Great job, Mitra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous lady isn't she. I love the tooth idea, maybe a long wait for one though!! On second thoughts I bet you have your kids teeth somewhere! You could always make her a pretty stand to display her too. LOl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi just love your dolly, she is just awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! I'll have to check out the op shop to see if I can find one. If you check the bottom of your little yellow dish you might find that it says Austria not Australia, two different places, one in Europe and the other down under!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My fave part is the doily skirt! Lovely idea, Mitra :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea! I know that faceless is the in thing but I ♥ a face! Not so fussed about the hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh what a cool project! You have the most amazing ideas Mitra!

    Thanks for joining us at LESSology!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! Thanks for playing along with us at LESSology!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW WOW WOW WOW ...Awesome.... So clever!!! You dolled up your woody dolly so well... you nailed it .... I love it... Thank you so much for joining US over @LESSology.... hugs...x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! I have seen the wooden models in the stores before but never thought to turn them into something this awesome! Her dress is gorgeous and I think she looks fine without the hair or face!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!