Monday, May 13, 2013

Keep Your Eye Out for Fugly


I recently spent a whopping $.75 at a second hand store the other day. Got myself three fancy dancy plastic doilies. Well, I got MYSELF one and two for friends. Would have gotten more, but they only had three.

Sorry for the blurry photo. I took the photo with my phone and I think the flowers upset the camera violently. The pen is thrown in there for scale so you can see that these doilies are not SMALL by a long shot. They cover a 12 by 12 sheet of paper nicely.

You know who you are Miss Lizzy Hill and Helen, these bad boys are heading your way. Scrap peeps that made good use of the LAST plastic doilies I forced them to take. ;-)

I shoved those ancient doilies in hot water almost as soon as I walked in the door and tried not to think of how ugly the flowers were.

Interestingly enough when I removed the ugly flowers, they were pretty all on their own ...so I have tucked them away for possible Christmas projects....the yellow part went in the garbage, but if I can use them, 24 nearly free poinsettias aren't bad...and the foliage looks interesting too...


Now, you might be wondering what one does with a plastic doily.

I have used the ones I have A LOT. Here is what this doily looks like with plaster (you can use a credit card to spread it out) and also some mist. The plaster is pink there but will dry white and ready for mists or inking....it also sands nicely. I always throw some clear spray on mine but I think it is just fine without it.


























So, keep your eye ball out for non-conventional items you can convert to your scrappy purposes.

Disclaimer on the title:  THE MAN uses the word FUGLY all the time. I just googled it so make sure I knew FOR SURE what it meant....two different definitions came up...Free and Ugly, which almost fits....and well...you can read urban dictionary's version....

Happy Monday!

6 comments:

  1. Wow great bargain! It makes an awsesome background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUGLY-ICIOUS, I reckon......yeeehaaaaah....I owe you BIG time....I just ♥♥♥♥ the little doily...which I have used according to your idea of texture paste, but it didn't work as well as yours looked....sooooo I'm thinking my muse SENT you to that there shop!!!!! Oh, man......how'm I gonna pay you back???? You always get such sensational STUFF.......well, won't think about that atm. Will just sit back, relax & enjoy watching you scrap with the Fugler!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I can only imagine you in a second hand shop... looking for treasures that only you could alter! I am sure the plastic diolleys will make great masks.. and the christmas flowers will make an appearance at the next festive creation I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't WAIT!!! thank you SO much!! Gosh I can't believe what bargains you can snap up there - that's amazing! I have done such a lovely layout using one of the doilies you sent, but it was for Scrap 365 so I can't show it off yet. With hard modeling paste & white glitter - looks AMAZE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A HUGE deal you found there. Upcycled Poinsettias for later and those AWESOME doilies for CHEAP!! You are a crafty frugal soul...LOVE IT!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool and I would not have given them a second look! I really need to pay more attention when bargain shopping!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!