Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Spare Oom Wreath


































What are you doing here?
Well, I was hiding in the wardrobe in the spare room, and...
Spare Oom? Is that in Narnia
Narnia? What's that?
Well, dear girl, you're in it.

Sorry for the Narnia quote I just couldn't help it. It popped into my brain the other day. Probably because I had to take a deep dive in one of our storage areas during work and I skyped someone and said if I wasn't back in 10 minutes, I was in Narnia. BUT, to set the record straight, it was SNOWING in Narnia in the book and it's snowing here, so I'd rather pop out some place warm....some place they serve fancy drinks with pool boys and I find a good book to read and it's quiet...

OH sorry.

Anyhow, back to my wreath!

So, back in the fall, Lisa from Kansas (aka Senior Blogger over at You Made Me Ink) sent me these cool bronze...brass?..... METAL leaves that she found and thought of me. I wish my friend Lisa was around as she'd ID them for me in heart beat, seein' how she is the Senior Chief of Scrap at her house, but it's the scrap as in metal, not paper like we're used to.

Bought this grape vine wreath at Walmart for the fabulously low price of $3 and upon laying out my paper flowers from The Mad Reycler  I realized that as lovely as creamy white flowers with metal leaves are, I'd want a splash of color.

Time for some dying!

I do perpetually walk around with fingers and nails that are stained up. If you ever wander up to the North Country and spot someone in Big Lots with blue fingers...yes, that is me.

So, started with some scrap paper and a metal cookie sheet. This cookie sheet is a new addition to my scrap room as I used to use the sink in the bathroom and got sick of trying to bleach the sink back to white before the hubby got home.

Needless to say, Alcohol Ink can and will stain everything.


But, if you put something like say paper or coffee filters down under your project, you can get two things dyed for the price of one!

Anyhow, I then scientifically dribbled alcohol ink over my lace with this result. I know, looks like lace with dribbled blue ink.


And, here is right when you are going to have to take a leap of faith with me as I then used more alcohol in a little squirt bottle (the bottle shown above has plain old alcohol from the pharmacy and was around $1, not really blender solution since I use this stuff like water but don't tell Tim or Ranger) to make the color run.

AND, I didn't get any more photos. Somebody distracted me, I wandered off to let my lace dry and next thing you know I was chopping it up and putting it on this wreath!


oh! And what do I intend to DO with this wreath? Why decorate my spare room downstairs. I intend to paint the walls a very light turquoise to match the bedspread! So, it's the Spare Oom Wreath! Big Huge virtual high five to Lisa from Kansas for thinking of me! Maybe she'll come visit some day and stay in my Spare Oom.

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhh I love it!!! AWESOME colors... loving how you dyed the lace! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE it, better watch out, it might come up missing from your Spare Oom.(teehee) Really is stunning, Mitra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Spare Oom wreath! It is absolutely gorgeous. The blue lace look wonderful. I also walk around with blue, green, brown, orange, etc hands most of the time. One time I even had to go to a pretty important meeting with completely blue hands, pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you found a use for those things...but I knew if anyone could, you could! They look fantastic on that wreath and your blue dye lace is a stunning color. Those paper flowers are the perfect earthy combination with the other elements.
    THANK YOU for the tutorial and if I am ever in your woods, wondering aimlessly and approached by a local; I'll be sure to say that I'm looking for the Spare Oom of the blue fingered lady. Wow...that could almost be a title to a story....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing!! Need to come back and bookmark that - now I know what to buy alcohol ink for...haven't ever had any!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh...I love this shade...what an awesome addition to your spare room! :)

    P/s: It's so hot where I live...you can come over anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!